On Friday, April 28, at approximately 5:20 pm, the Southeast Asian Games torch will arrive in the Phnom Penh city limits. The torch will arrive via National Road 6 and is expected to pass by Wat Phnom at roughly 6:45 pm, continuing to Langka Pagoda near Independence Monument. On Saturday, April 29 at 5:45 am, the torch will continue its trajectory and is expected to pass around the Central Market area, then head north towards the French Embassy. Approximately 1,000 people are expected to accompany the torch. Road closures and heavy traffic congestion are expected along the torch route.
Additionally, on Monday, May 1, the Cambodian Labor Confederation (CLC) and Central Trade Union (CTU) are planning large gatherings for their union members. The CLC gathering will take place along the riverside at 7:30 am in front of the Council for the Development of Cambodia. The group will then march to Daun Penh Statue and at 12:00 pm. The CLC expects roughly 2,000 participants.
Although not yet approved by Cambodian authorities, the CTU gathering is tentatively scheduled to begin at 7:00 am at Chea Vichea Statue, which is located at the corner of street 51 and Preah Sihanouk Blvd. The group will then march to the National Assembly, and conclude at 12:00 pm.
Expect an increased police presence in all these areas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas described above at and around the times mentioned. Congestion and disruption may radiate outwards from these areas and impact ease of movement and safety elsewhere in the city.
- Exercise extra vigilance.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have a contingency plan for emergencies.
- Maintain a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh, Cambodia (855) 23 728 000; ACSPhnomPenh@state.gov
- Department of State – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- CAMBODIA Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts