Last Updated: 9/28/22
Updated Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S. due to COVID-19
*** Effective Sunday, June 12 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, the CDC rescinded its Order requiring all airline or other aircraft passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 to board any aircraft destined to the United States from a foreign country. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
- According to the Ministry of Health authorities, Cambodia has report no new cases of COVID. As of September 28 2022, Cambodia has had a total of 137,861 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 3,056 deaths since the onset of the pandemic in early 2020.
The U.S. Embassy encourages Americans to adhere to all requirements and to check this page regularly for updates. U.S. citizens are subject to Cambodian law and there may be fines or other penalties associated with non-compliance. American citizens are advised to carry identification at all times when outside of their residence.
Questions related to these requirements should be directed to the Cambodian Ministry of Health at the COVID-19 115 hotline or any of the following office numbers: 012 825 424, 012 488 981, or 012 836 868.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Cambodia? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- U.S. citizens can obtain a COVID-19 test in Cambodia at multiple locations. Testing will be at the U.S. citizen’s cost. A physical copy of the test results is usually provided on the afternoon of the day following testing. The certificate of travel will be valid for 72 hours after issuance. Please confirm opening hours and testing costs before getting tested. The following locations offer COVID-19 testing:
- National Institute of Public Health (NIPH). Hours are Monday to Sunday, 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for walk-ins only. Individuals seeking testing can pre-register their details at this link.
- Institut Pasteur du Cambodge. COVID-19 testing by appointment only
- Intercare Medical Center.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to CDC’s requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity. To submit information in support of an exemption, email ACSPhnomPenh@state.gov.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Cambodia approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes.
- Are vaccines available in Cambodia for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes.
- Which vaccines are available in Cambodia? Sinopharm, Sinovac, and AstraZeneca.
- The Cambodian government has to date approved the Sinopharm, Sinovac, and AstraZeneca vaccines for emergency use. According to the government, vaccination for “all foreign nationals who are currently residing and working in Cambodia” will be made available under the Cambodian COVID-19 Vaccination Plans.
- The Cambodian government has designated the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training (for those holding E-class Ordinary Visa and work permits issued by the ministry), and local authorities (for all other foreign residents) as the responsible authority for registering foreign residents seeking a COVID-19 vaccination. Please refer to this announcement (3 pages) for further details. American citizens seeking vaccination are encouraged to contact their employer (for E-class Ordinary Visa holders) or their local sangkat/commune authorities in accordance with this announcement. American citizens are not required to register with the Embassy and do not require a letter from the Embassy to be eligible for vaccination. American citizens may want to consider having a printed copy of this announcement in their possession when registering with Cambodian authorities and/or seeking vaccination. Foreign nationals who are not residents or do not have valid visas are ineligible to receive vaccinations under this guidance.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Cambodian authorities have also introduced the following requirements for prevention, containment, and response to the spread of COVID-19 for all travelers entering Cambodia by air, land, and water. All arriving foreigners must:
- Possess a COVID-19 vaccination card or certificate confirming fully vaccinated status, the vaccine type, and dates.
- Fully vaccinated travelers are exempt from COVID-19 testing and quarantine requirements.
- Travelers who are required to obtain a visa may request a visa upon arrival.
- All travelers are encouraged by the Government of Cambodia to purchase COVID-19 Health Insurance.
- All travelers who have not been fully vaccinated will be required to submit to an antigen rapid test administered by Ministry of Health officials.
- Arrivals who have not been fully vaccinated must pay 5 USD for each rapid test kit and follow the procedures as established by the Ministry of Health.
- Travelers that obtain a negative result are free to continue on to their domestic destination.
- In the event of a positive result, travelers may receive treatment at a facility as determined by the Ministry of Health.
- All costs associated with treatment and accommodation are borne by the traveler.
- For travelers holding K visas; quarantine location will be designated by the Ministry of Health free of charge.
- For travelers holding T, E, C, or using exemption visas, a deposit of 2,000 USD will be requested for quarantine expenses at a facility designated by the Ministry of Health.
- Please monitor official Cambodian government sources for the latest fee schedule for these testing and treatment services.
- Please see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation’s guidance on travel restrictions here.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes. The U.S. government has supported points-of-entry public health screening to help Cambodia implement emergency plans to screen people arriving at various points of entry, such as airports and land-border crossings.
The U.S. government has supported points-of-entry public health screening to help Cambodia implement emergency plans to screen people arriving at various points of entry, such as airports and land-border crossings.
- The Embassy has requested the Cambodian government to assist U.S. citizens in extending their visas amidst difficulty traveling due to COVID-19 concerns. Effective April 3, 2020, the Cambodian government will grant an automatic extension of tourist visas until they are able to depart for those foreign citizens who arrived in Cambodia after January 1, 2020. These foreign citizens are also exempt from visa overstay fines until they are able to depart Cambodia. We recommend Americans contact the General Department of Immigration at +855 97 314 0999 to resolve additional visa issues or overstay fees.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No. However, travelers may encounter checkpoints and screening procedures. Furthermore, travel through specific areas designated as “Red Zones” is prohibited. Please see the “Country-Specific Information” section above.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No, if you are fully vaccinated.
- Unvaccinated travelers will be required to undergo a PCR COVID-19 test and quarantine for a period of 14 days according to the Cambodia Ministry of Health regulation.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- The following airlines currently maintain reduced flights that depart Cambodia for onward connecting flights to the United States.
- Korean Airlines (Note: Currently four flights every week, although flights may be canceled/unavailable on specific dates.)
- Asiana Airlines (Note: Currently seven flights every week, although flights may be canceled/unavailable on specific dates.)
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. Please check airline websites for times and availability and do not book flights through an online search service. We recommend booking flights through a travel agency or directly with the abovementioned airlines.
- Travel agencies in Phnom Penh where English is spoken (U.S. Embassy does not endorse these agencies or take responsibility for services provided by them):
- EXO Travel – office 023 218 948. mobile: 017 600 085 and 017 910 007
- Palm Travel and Tours – office 016 821 168. Mobile 077 800 021
- Khmer Views Travel Agent – office 081 983 567
- World Pop Travel – office 012-913 789
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- Travelers found not in compliance with government requirements may be denied entry and subject to discretionary fines for failing to adhere to quarantine and testing guidelines.
- As of February 18, 2021, travelers or operators of transport vehicles who evade authorized border checkpoints, fail to cooperate with health officials in implementing health measures, or do not comply with health procedures are subject to a fine of $1,250. Anyone who initiates, incites, instructs, persuades, or deliberately facilitates passengers or operators of a transport vehicle to evade inspection or evade implementation of quarantine measures will be subject to a fine of $2,500 to $12,500.
- As of February 25, 2021, foreign nationals who do not comply with COVID-19 rules or refuse to cooperate with authorities may be subject to deportation and prohibition from re-entry.
- As of March 11, 2021, individuals may incur additional penalties, including up to $5,000 in fines and 5 years imprisonment, for failure to comply with COVID-19 rules or cooperate with authorities. Intentionally spreading COVID-19 may result in up to 20 years of imprisonment.
- As of March 12, 2021, under new Cambodian legal provisions, individuals who do not adhere to mandatory mask-wearing and social distancing may be subject to fines of $50 to $250. Repeat offenders may be subject to a fine of up to $1,250
- American Citizen Services: U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh has resumed services for U.S. citizens. Interested U.S. citizens may use our online system to request passport appointments here, although wait times may be longer than usual due to limited capacity. Persons seeking CRBA appointments should follow the instructions on our website and send documents in advance to ACSPhnomPenh@state.gov.
- Immigrant and non-immigrant visa services: The U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh has resumed routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa services. To find more information about visa services or schedule an appointment with the visa unit, visit this website.
- For additional information in Cambodia, travelers can call the 115 hotline or MOH officials at: 012 825 424, 012 488 981 or 012 836 868. Information is available in English and Khmer.
- Other links:
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page