Application Deadline: January 6, 2022
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce an open competition for the 2022-2023 Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD Program) sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State.
The 2022-2023 Global UGRAD program will provide one-semester scholarships to approximately 250 outstanding undergraduate students representing all world regions to study in the U.S colleges and universities. The program includes pre-academic English language training, academic coursework, service learning opportunities, professional development workshops, and cultural enrichment activities. Global UGRAD participants will be enrolled full time in undergraduate course work at the host institution to allow ample opportunity for substantive interaction with U.S. faculty and student peers, and for exposure to U.S. academic and classroom culture.
All academic fields of study are eligible. Per J-1 visa regulations, interested applicants in medicine, nursing, veterinary medicine, pharmacology or other clinical fields of study, should be made aware that direct patient care, including animal care, is not permitted, and therefore academic coursework and/or program activities at participating U.S. institutions may be limited.
Students cannot choose their host institution. The cooperating agency World Learning will place students at the most appropriate host institution based on students’ academic interests. Students who are not enrolled in pre-academic English may indicate a preference for a Fall or Spring semester placement, but final placement will be made by the cooperating organization in conjunction with ECA. This is a non-degree program – it is the students’ responsibility to check with their home institutions whether any credits accumulated during the Global UGRAD program will be transferred. Please note that World Learning cannot guarantee the availability of specific courses to students.
Students are required to enroll in at least two courses in their major and at least one course in a U.S. Studies field, such as U.S. history, literature, art, or government. Students will also be required to take one, 3-credit U.S. studies course to enhance their understanding of the United States.
Participants will live in campus housing facilities with American peers, and will be required to participate in a minimum of twenty hours of community service. There will also be a virtual arrival orientation and an in-person end-of-program workshop.
Pre-Academic English: Global UGRAD provides one semester of pre-academic English language training to students, if needed.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a Cambodian citizen with at least 18 years of age when beginning the UGRAD program in the United States.
- Be currently enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree program in Cambodia, and must have completed a minimum of their first semester of study prior to starting their Global UGRAD Program.
- Have at least one semester or an equivalent term to complete at their home institutions upon completion of the Global UGRAD Program. The Global UGRAD program cannot be the final academic term of a student’s undergraduate study.
- Be highly motivated and demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must demonstrate a command of written and spoken English. The TOEFL exam will be required of those selected as finalists or alternates.
- Priority will be given to students from non-elite or less-privileged backgrounds, from both rural and urban areas, who have little or NO prior experience in the U.S. or elsewhere outside of their home countries.
- Applicants must be committed to return directly to their home country after the completion of the program.
How to apply:
Interested students are invited to complete the Online Application and submit it no later than January 6, 2022
Questions: For further information, please contact the Public Affairs Section via email: PASExchanges@state.gov or phone: 023-728-683. When emailing, use the subject line: “FY 2022 Global UGRAD.”