OPEN TO: All Qualified Candidates
OPENING DATE: January 10, 2020
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2020
WORK HOURS: Full time; 48 hrs/week
WORK PERIOD: June 25, 2020 – September 11, 2020
Peace Corps Cambodia seeks multiple Language and Cross-culture Facilitators (LCFs) for our K14 Pre-Service Training (PST). Peace Corps (www.peacecorps.gov) is a US government agency that sends volunteers to assist in development. Learn more about Peace Corps Cambodia here: http://cambodia.peacecorps.gov/
LCFs live and work closely with a small group of American Peace Corps Trainees throughout Pre-Service Training. LCFs conduct Khmer language classes and help small groups of 5-6 Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) learn Cambodian culture and the skills needed to live in Cambodia. They must follow prescribed curriculum and effectively use a variety of language training techniques and methodologies. LCFs serve as a prime bridge between the Trainees and their host families and training communities. LCFs also participate in the evaluation of the language training program. The LCF operates under the direct guidance and supervision of the Language and Cultural Coordinator (LCC).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes or modifies daily language lesson plans using Peace Corps Cambodia Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC) design and sends them to LCC to approve before classes.
- Conducts language classes, making appropriate lesson modifications based upon the learning needs of the Trainees and feedback received from them.
- Prepares all necessary materials, visual aids, activities, worksheets independently and/or under the guidance of LCC,
- Helps Trainees to acquire cross-cultural knowledge and skills by acting as a language and cultural information liaison, by integrating cultural situations and discussions into language classes, and creating opportunities for Trainees to interact and ask questions in an open and unthreatening forum.
- Submits weekly progress report regarding Trainee progress in language acquisition, and cultural understanding. Provides timely and regular feedback to Trainees on progress in Language, cross culture and other areas. Makes recommendations regarding Trainee language status at the end of the training program.
- Assists Trainees in practicing language learning outside the classroom, especially language that relates to safety and cultural integration, encourages Trainees to interact with community people, establish contacts with institutions and obtaining resources at the local level.
- Assures appropriate technical vocabulary/language has been covered before field trips, school visits and facilitates practice of technical Language. Asks for assistance from trainers if necessary background materials have not been provided in a timely manner.
- Selected candidate must be able to live in the selected rural community during the entire period of employment.
- A University Degree, equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in education, teaching, or related field.
- Language Proficiency: Native Khmer Speaker. English Level III (Good Working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing and ability to use English as an instructive language.
- Work Experience: Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in Cambodia
- One or more years of experience teaching English
- One or more years of experience teaching adults
- One or more years of experience teaching Khmer to foreigners.
How to Apply:
- Submit a cover letter in English describing your interest in working with the Peace Corps and how you meet the qualifications.
- Submit a CV in English that demonstrates how you meet the desired qualifications.
- Send CV/Resume and cover letter to KH-jobs@ peacecorps.gov with the title “LCF”
- Or, deliver to the Peace Corps Office – #7A, Street 256
- Or, mail to Peace Corps Office, PO Box 2453, Phnom Penh 3
For questions, please contact Peace Corps/Cambodia at Tel: 023 222 901.
Applications that fail to follow application instructions or address the required qualifications or are submitted after 5:00pm on the closing date will not be considered.