The US Legation opened in Phnom Penh on November 14. Operations were initially conducted from the renowned Hotel Le Royal until a Legation office and U.S. Information Service library were established in a new location.
The Legation was raised to Embassy status on June 25, 1952, at which point Heath became the first U.S. Ambassador to Cambodia.
Click here (PDF: 9 MB) to read more about the U.S.-Cambodia Relations, 1950 – 2010.