Apply for a Passport

In order to apply for a first passport ALL applicants MUST appear at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in person.

If you are applying for a first passport for a newborn child, please see section on Reports of Birth Abroad.


  • U.S. passports are issued only to U.S. citizens. Each person, including children, must obtain his or her own passport.
  • If you are a first time applicant, or your passport is more than 15 years old, please complete and submit this application Form DS-11.
  • Please do not sign this form until asked to do so at the Consulate.
  • If you have an American Social Security number, please complete block number 6 on the form DS-11.
  • Each application must be accompanied by:1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship (as explained below); 2. Proof of Identity (as explained below);3. Two photographs (as explained below);4. Parents must execute the application for a child under 16 years old (as explained below).

Important: All applications for children under 16 require both parents’ or legal guardians’ consent.

When applying for a child under age 16, the parent (or legal guardian) who is not accompanying the child must sign the application form DS-11 and submit a legible photocopy of his/her signed passport whether he/she is a U.S. citizen or not. Non-US citizens may submit a legible photocopy of a signed passport or a signed national photo identification card.

If the non-applying parent is unable to sign the application for DS-11, he/she MUST submit a notarized statement of consent auhorizing the parent accompanying the child to make the passport renewal application for his/her child on his/her behalf. Please click here to download this Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16. Notarial services are available at the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh.

  • You must also submit the child’s original birth certificate. Copies will not be accepted. (See Proof of U.S. Citizenship below)

Important: For all applicants for first passport for married women it is mandatory that their maiden name be printed on the first passport application for DS-11 in box number 17 marked, “Other Names You Have Used.” Applications that do not contain this information, if relevant, will be returned to the applicant for completion.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • Applicants born in the United States. Submit the original of a U.S. birth certificate. A birth certificate must include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records. A record filed more than 1 year after the birth is acceptable if it is supported by evidence described in the next paragraph.
  • If no birth record exists, submit registrar’s notice to that effect. Also submit an early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school, or family bible records, newspaper or insurance files, or notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth (preferably with at least one record listed above). Evidence should include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, and seal or other certification of office (if customary) and signature of issuing official.
  • Applicants born outside the United States. Submit Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.
  • If you claim citizenship through naturalization of parent(s), submit the certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.
  • If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. Citizen parents(s): please submit the original Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240) or original Certificate of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545). You may also submit the original of your foreign birth certificate, your parents’ marriage certificate, proof of citizenship of your parent(s) and affidavit of U.S. citizens parent(s) showing all periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
  • If you claim citizenship through the Child Citizen Act: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA) went into effect on February 27, 2001. The CCA grants automatic or expeditious naturalization to the minor children of U.S. citizens abroad. Step-children do not qualify to acquire U.S. citizenship through their U.S. citizen step-parent. There is complete information on the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including application forms.

Proof of Identity

Your must establish your identity to the Consular officer’s satisfaction. You submit a government issued document such as the following containing your signature and physical description or photograph that is a good likeness of you; certificate of Naturalization or of Citizenship; driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license); or government (Federal, State, Municipal) identification card or pass. Temporary or altered documents are not acceptable.

If you cannot prove your identity as stated above, you must appear with an Identifying Witness who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her identity and complete and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness (Form DSP-71) before the Consular Officer. You must also submit some identification of your own.


Two (2) identical, recent, color photographs taken full face, with a white background, measuring 5 cm by 5 cm (2 in x 2 in). Please ask the photographer for photos for a U.S. passport, otherwise you may be given the wrong format.

For a list of fees, please click here.

Remember: all first time applicants must apply in person.