Notice on Visa Services
The United States Embassy Phnom Penh has resumed all immigrant and certain nonimmigrant visa services. While the United States Embassy Phnom Penh aims to process cases as soon as practicable, there is likely to be increased wait times for completing such services due to substantial backlogs. The MRV fee (for nonimmigrant visa) is valid and may be used to schedule an interview appointment in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please follow the guidance provided at https://ustraveldocs.com/kh/kh-niv-expeditedappointment.asp for nonimmigrant visa or email IVPhnomPenh@state.gov for immigrant visa to request an emergency appointment. Read more
The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.)
To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information or use the contact information below:
- Telephone: (855 23) 962 530 (for Nonimmigrant Visas)
- Email: We cannot take phone calls from individuals inquiring about visa cases. Please send your visa inquiries to the following email:
Nonimmigrant Visas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Immigrant Visas: IVPhnomPenh@state.gov
Please include the words “IV Inquiry” and your case number (which begins with the letters “PHP” followed by ten digits) in the subject line.
We make every effort to respond to inquiries within three business days.
In accordance with our policy, the Consular Section is only permitted to discuss details of a visa case with the petitioner, beneficiary, and/or their legal representative. lease provide the following information when inquiring about a visa case:
- Applicant’s name and date of birth:
- Applicant’s passport number:
- Mailing addresses and telephone numbers:
- Your full name:
We will respond as quickly as possible. Please do not send your inquiry more than once as duplicate inquiries will delay the response time.
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise every visa applicant that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov.
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect every visa applicant to:
- Plan the travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete the application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about the purpose and plans.
- Prepare for the interview and be able to clearly and concisely describe the intentions.